Five Minute Friday: Going the Distance

It's Five Minute Friday over at Lisa-Jo's, time to write freely for 5 minutes, "to just write and not worry about whether it's just right." And I'm playing along this week, but first I feel I should tell you, I totally cheated. I think I wrote for 7 or maybe 9 minutes. I'm not sure exactly, because my five minutes was interrupted no less than five times, and each time I kept coming back to write, I'd lost track of time. (Suuuure. She lost track of time. How conveeeenient.)

Anywhere, cheater status fully admitted, here's my 7-9 Minute Friday, on the prompt "Distance."

GO

You wouldn't believe the lengths I'd go to get two hours of peace, to clear my head and keep company only with my thoughts (and maybe a few of Pink's). I wouldn't have believed it either if you'd told me two years ago I'd be so excited about running a half marathon that I'd train in 30 degree weather and on snow-covered trails like a crazy woman.

(Let's just be clear. I was a crazy woman long before I started distance running. But the running? It definitely adds some crazy to the pot.)

I read somewhere that a surefire way to improve your time is to run more miles, slower.  I found that hard to believe, and still do, in fact. But I've discovered that it really does work. And of course, this has become such a picture for me of everyday life. Slow and steady always gets me farther than fast and frenzied. And when I'm willing to take it slow for the sake of endurance, to train my feet, my heart to go the distance, it's amazing the beauty I notice along the way. Those gorgeous gifts I used to race right by.

STOP

Wanna give it a try? Come on, it's fun! You can even cheat and no one will yell at you. At least I don't think they will. I'll get back to you on that.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
All Rights Reserved - ©MYLESTONES 2007-2012

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP