I think I'd miss my kids...

So I married a medical resident. Actually, I married him long before med school was even a remote possibility. So really, we couldn't have known what we were in for. And that was probably a good thing.

Let's just say he works a lot and leave it at that. We know it won't be like this forever, and that helps.

Caed adores his Dad, and for the past two years has imitated his every doctorly move. Whenever Dad makes it home before bedtime, Caed asks for a repeat of grand rounds. "Was there anybody really bloody?" He inquires. "How did you fix his heart from beeping too fast?" He wonders.

But after a week of falling asleep long before Dad arrived to plant goodnight kisses, Caed began to speculate. "I think Daddy might be on another far away rotation. Because he is just working and working and not coming home."

Dani, who is in the habit lately of getting up at 4:45 a.m. both to see Daddy off and to preemptively exhaust her mother, piped up to bear witness to Daddy's existence. She'd reportedly seen Daddy that very morning before he left for "da hopsittle". (I will strike from the record the part where they bicker for five minutes about who saw Daddy last and where Daddy is and who is copying who and....Lord have mercy, would the two of you knock it off??)

Even after we established that Daddy was, in fact, making it home occasionally, Caed's enthusiasm for the medical profession continued to wane. So I wasn't surprised when on the way home from school, he shared his new life plan.

"I used to want to be a fireman or a doctor," he started. "But I don't think I'll do those things. Because fire fighters have to stay all day and night at the station, and I think I'd miss my kids. Like Daddy misses me. So maybe I'll be something else. Laahiiiike.....Lemme see....Hmmm.....I think I'll be a school bus driver! Just think of all the fun I'm going to have doing that!"

His career change announcement might make me totally sad if it wasn't so cute.

(But did I mention it won't be like this forever? It won't. And that helps.)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
All Rights Reserved - ©MYLESTONES 2007-2012

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP